Click below to hear how to navigate the achievement gap in education:
The past several years have been difficult and exhausting for teachers, to say the least. There are so many struggles and difficulties teachers face every day, which have been magnified since 2020. Students are entering classrooms with a variety of gaps, but particularly educational and social emotional gaps.
I wanted to bring light to our current situation, so I have reached out to our community at Wife Teacher Mommy for answers, suggestions, and advice for their fellow teachers. In this two part series, I’m going to shed light on the gaps teachers are up against in the classroom. Today’s episode is part 1 on the achievement gap in education, which includes tips from real teachers like you.
Before jumping into words from our community, I provide my own thoughts and a mindset shift on the achievement gap in education. I came up with three tips that I find helpful when it comes to navigating the educational gap. Those tips are accepting the current circumstances as they are, don’t compare students to where the standards say they should be, and find resources to help make differentiation easier for you. During the episode, I go deeper into these ideas that will help you find success.
Our Wife Teacher Mommy community has a lot of great advice on how to navigate the achievement gap in education. Their words provide encouragement, strategies, and a feeling like you’re not in this alone or the only one facing this problem. Not only do they give advice on differentiating and how to meet the educational gaps, but they also give solutions.
I believe there’s power in coming together and learning from each other, which is exactly what this episode embodies. After hearing from real teachers like you, I hope that you feel heard and learned new strategies that will help close the achievement gap in education. Stay tuned for next week’s episode on the social emotional gaps in education.
In this episode on the achievement gap in education, I discuss:
- My thoughts and insight on the academic gaps in education
- Advice from real teachers like you
- How to navigate the educational gap with strategies and tips
- The power of coming together and learning from other teachers
- Join the Wife Teacher Mommy Club!
- Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Bundle
- Differentiated Reading Comprehension and Fluency Bundle
- Share a voice recording with us at Wife Teacher Mommy
- Wife Teacher Mommy: Mentioned on Podcast Amazon List
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 28, How to Differentiate Instruction to Meet Every Child with Karel Dimalanta
- Episode 19, Let’s Talk Substitute Teacher Plans with Sarah Gates
- Episode 7, Activate and Differentiate – Reading Comprehension Skills with Tori La Rue
Connect with Kelsey:
- Follow her on Instagram @wifeteachermommy.
- Join our Facebook group: Wife Teacher Mommies Unite.
- Follow on Pinterest for more helpful resources.
Read the transcript for episode 31, The Achievement Gaps in Education- Tips From Real Teachers Like You (Part 1):
More about Wife Teacher Mommy: The Podcast
Being an educator is beyond a full-time job. Whether you’re a teacher or a homeschool parent, the everyday to-do list is endless. Between lesson planning, grading, meetings, and actually teaching, it probably feels impossible to show up for your students without dropping the ball in other areas of your life.
Wife Teacher Mommy: The Podcast is the show that will bring you the teacher tips, practical strategies, and inspiration that you need to relieve the stress and overwhelm of your day-to-day. Your host, Kelsey Sorenson, is a former teacher and substitute turned homeschool mom. Tune in weekly to hear Kelsey and her guests cheer you on and help you thrive as a wife, teacher, and mommy. Because with a little support and community, you can do it all. For access to every single Wife Teacher Mommy resource, join the club at www.wifeteachermommy.com/club.