What makes these 1st Grade Reading Passages so unique?
This product includes four reading passage topics. Each topic in this set includes three leveled passages (high, medium, and low) for a total of 12 passage options! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner. No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because the 3 levels of passages will use the same reading comprehension question page, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the same level.
Every passage includes a full page of comprehension questions. The first question on every page will help students activate their background knowledge about the passage topic. This skill helps students make connections and retain what they are learning. This question is followed by comprehension questions from the text (multiple choice and free response). These questions invite students to cite textual evidence for their answers using colored writing utensils, a skill that increases readers’ confidence. Last, there is a deeper thinking question on each question page to encourage critical thinking and hit a variety of grade-level language arts standards.
BONUS! A half-page option is also included for the reading comprehension questions (not pictured) This is a GREAT option if you want to save on paper while printing
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages include a variety of nonfiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment.
Full Contents of the 1st Grade April Reading Passages Printable Version:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Reading Comprehension Information – A key that identifies how icons on the question sheet connect to reading skills, so you can monitor students’ progress on activating background knowledge, comprehending key details, and meeting grade-level standards.
- The Prank Passages & Questions – This first-person narrative tells the story of an Easter-themed prank! Themes: April Fools Day (April 1), Easter
- Alien Observation Competition Passages & Questions – An alien visits Earth expecting to find it dirty. He’s surprised to see Earthlings take care of their planet. Theme: Earth Day (April 22)
- Birdsong Passages & Questions – A nonfiction intro to the who, what, when, where, and why of birdsong. Theme: Spring
- Flower Fable Passages & Questions – Wise and foolish flowers take on personalities in this prose with a potent moral. Theme: Spring
- Answer Key – To make grading and discussions a breeze
BEST DEAL: If you’re looking for a resource like this that will last the full year, please check out the 1st Grade Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Year-Long Growing Bundle.
Be sure to check out all of our reading passages.