What makes these 1st Grade Reading Passages so unique?
This product includes four reading passage topics. Each topic in this set includes three leveled passages (high, medium, and low) for a total of 12 passage options! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner. No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because the 3 levels of passages will use the same reading comprehension question page, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the same level.
Every passage includes a full page of comprehension questions. The first question on every page will help students activate their background knowledge about the passage topic. This skill helps students make connections and retain what they are learning. This question is followed by comprehension questions from the text (multiple choice and free response). These questions invite students to cite textual evidence for their answers using colored clipart, a skill that increases readers’ confidence. Last, there is a deeper thinking question on each question page to encourage critical thinking and hit a variety of grade-level language arts standards.
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages include a variety of nonfiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment.
Full Contents of the 1st Grade December Reading Passages:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Reading Comprehension Information – A key that identifies how icons on the question sheet connect to reading skills, so you can monitor students’ progress on activating background knowledge, comprehending key details, and meeting grade-level standards.
- Christmas Tree History Passages & Questions – Learn the history behind the endearing and enduring tradition in this informational piece. Themes: Christmas
- December Holidays Passages & Questions – Four friends compare their holiday traditions in this dialogue-driven passage. Themes: Christmas, Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa
- Abbie’s New Neighbor Passages & Questions – When a new neighbor invites Abbie and her mother over for cookies, Abbie learns that self-sufficiency appears in many forms. Themes: International Day of Persons With Disabilities (December 3)
- A Plea From Your Friend Passages & Questions – This persuasive email calls for a friend to change his mind about skipping the winter campout. Themes: Winter, Play Outside Day (The first Saturday of every month)
- Answer Key – To make grading and discussions a breeze