What makes these 1st Grade Reading Passages so unique?
This product includes four reading passage topics. Each topic in this set includes three leveled passages (high, medium, and low) for a total of 12 passage options! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner. No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because the 3 levels of passages will use the same reading comprehension question page, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the same level.
Every passage includes a full page of comprehension questions. The first question on every page will help students activate their background knowledge about the passage topic. This skill helps students make connections and retain what they are learning. This question is followed by comprehension questions from the text (multiple choice and free response). These questions invite students to cite textual evidence for their answers using colored clipart, a skill that increases readers’ confidence. Last, there is a deeper thinking question on each question page
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages include a variety of nonfiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment.
Full Contents of the 1st Grade November Reading Passages:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Reading Comprehension Information – A key that identifies how icons on the question sheet connect to reading skills, so you can monitor students’ progress on activating background knowledge, comprehending key details, and meeting grade-level standards.
- Sand Sculpting Passages & Questions – A descriptive, first-person essay about Florida’s sand-sculpting competitions. Themes: Autumn sand-sculpting competitions
- Dinner Mix-up Passages & Questions – One family’s Thanksgiving dinner goes awry in this comedic tale. Themes: Thanksgiving
- Earthworks Passages & Questions – This non-fiction report details the artwork of an ancient civilization: the Hopewell Culture. Themes: Native American Heritage Month
- Flying Machine Passages & Questions – A historical fiction origin story of Wilbur and Orville Wright, the American pioneers of aviation. Themes: Aviation History Month.
- Answer Key – To make grading and discussions a breeze
BEST DEAL: If you’re looking for a resource like this that will last the full year, please check out the 1st Grade Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Year-Long Bundle.