These writing prompts for 1st grade can be used for classwork, homework, no-prep warm-ups, quick reviews, fast finisher practice, and more! This is also a great purchase for parents and homeschoolers who want structured writing practice at home.
The 1st grade writing assignments cover the four main types of writing, narrative, informative, opinion, and descriptive. There are nine writing prompts included for each of the four main types of writing. You can choose when to assign each type of writing & writing prompt.
Our 36 Weeks of Writing Prompts for 1st Grade include a brainstorming template with a writing and illustration page. They are designed so that each prompt can last for an entire week. However, you may choose to complete the prompt in one day if you prefer.
You’ll begin each week with a mini-lesson about the type of writing they will be practicing. The rest of the week can follow our suggested outline:
- Day 1: Brainstorm – use the brainstorming template provided
- Day 2: Rough Draft – quickly put thoughts on paper
- Day 3: Revise – rework the organization and details
- Day 4: Edit/Proofread – review and correct spelling and grammar errors
- Day 5: Final Draft – apply corrections on the final version using the template provided. Your student(s) will add an illustration in the space provided at the bottom.
WANT THE BIGGEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK? Grab the printable + digital versions, or save even more when you purchase all eight grade levels worth of Nursery Rhyme Sequencing (Pre-K) and Writing Prompts (Kindergarten-6th Grade) Practice! You save BIG TIME by grabbing the bundle!
Have any questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.