SETS TO BE INCLUDED:
Please note that these are the APPROXIMATE dates that we plan to post each resource, so check this page for the most updated dates! They may be posted slightly before or after the listed date. Our goal is to get each resource posted BEFORE these listed dates so you have more time to prep… but that also means the price may increase even sooner. Grab the bundle now for the best pricing!
- January Reading Passages Printable Already Added
- January Reading Passages Digital Already Added
- February Reading Passages Printable Already Added
- February Reading Passages Digital Already Added
- March Reading Passages Printable Already Added
- March Reading Passages Digital Already Added
- April Reading Passages Printable Already Added
- April Reading Passages Digital Already Added
- May Reading Passages Printable Already Added
- May Reading Passages Digital Already Added
- Summer Reading Passages Printable June 1- Price will increase to $45, Full Value $110
- Summer Reading Passages Digital June 1- Price will increase to $45, Full Value $110
- August Reading Passages Printable August 1- Price will increase to $50, Full Value $110
- August Reading Passages Digital August 1- Price will increase to $50, Full Value $110
- September Reading Passages Printable September 1- Price will increase to $55, Full Value $110
- September Reading Passages Digital September 1- Price will increase to $55, Full Value $110
- October Reading Passages Printable October 1- Price will increase to $60, Full Value $110
- October Reading Passages Digital October 1- Price will increase to $60, Full Value $110
- November Reading Passages Printable November 1- Price will increase to $65, Full Value $110
- November Reading Passages November 1- Price will increase to $65, Full Value $110
- December Reading Passages Printable December 1- Bundle Discount = $79, Full Value $110
- December Reading Passages Digital December 1- Bundle Discount = $79, Full Value $110
What makes these 4th Grade Reading Passages so unique?
This product includes four reading passage topics per month (June and July are combined into one summer set). Each topic includes three leveled passages (high, medium, and low) for a total of 132 passage options! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner. No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because the 3 levels of passages will use the same reading comprehension question page, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the same level.
Yes, the differentiation provides versatility, but more options are included, as well. Print and digital options are in this bundle (and it’s so handy to have both during these academic times when many schools are shifting here and there to accommodate for COVID). You’ll also find versatility in the passages themselves. Within these 44 passages, you’ll find all four main writing types: expository, descriptive, persuasive, and narrative. Fictional passages include multiple points of view and a wide variety of genres including historical fiction, science fiction, contemporary fiction, mystery, etc. Nonfiction passages encompass historical nonfiction accounts, biographies, self-help, academic texts, how-to instructions, and even a recipe! If you want to expose your students to a world of versatile writing and reading, these monthly differentiated reading comprehension passages are your ticket!
Every passage includes a full page of comprehension questions. The first question on every page will help students activate their background knowledge about the passage topic. This skill helps students make connections and retain what they are learning. This question is followed by comprehension questions from the text (multiple choice and free response). These questions invite students to cite textual evidence for their answers using colored writing utensils (printable version) or movable clipart pieces (digital version), a skill that increases readers’ confidence. Last, there is a deeper thinking question on each question page to encourage critical thinking and hit a variety of grade-level language arts standards.
BONUS! A half-page answer sheet option is also included for each passage (not pictured) This is a GREAT option if you want to save on paper while printing
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages include a variety of nonfiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment. Remember, this is a growing bundle, so your students may not be the only ones excited about the topics. Don’t worry; we won’t judge if you also find yourself looking forward to the surprise of which seasons and holidays will soon make an appearance! Keep in mind that the surprise is also the reason for the steep and sweet discount! If you’re interested, grab the bundle before it stops growing.
Full Contents of the 4th Grade Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Growing Bundle:
Each monthly set includes the following:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Reading Comprehension Information – A key that identifies how icons on the question sheet connect to reading skills, so you can monitor students’ progress on activating background knowledge, comprehending key details, and meeting grade-level standards.
- Answer Keys – To make grading and discussions a breeze
Note– each of the following passages listed will be available in PDF and Google Slides!
January Reading Passages:
- Icy Animals Passages & Questions – A nonfiction passage about how a few unique animals embrace the cold. Theme: Winter
- Martin Passages & Questions – A fictional story with historical roots about a boy named after Martin Luther King Jr. Theme: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Ice Roads Passages & Questions – Learn about the functions of Canadian ice roads. Theme: Winter
- Robot New Year Passages & Questions – A science fiction story with emotional literacy themes. Theme: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day (January 1)
February Differentiated Reading Passages:
- Leap Day Fun Facts Passages & Questions – A nonfiction trivia list about Feb. 29. Theme: Leap Day (February 29)
- Gordon’s Shadow Passages & Questions – A comical story about a scared groundhog. Theme: Groundhog Day (February 2)
- Dr. Williams Passages & Questions – A short biography of Dr. Daniel Hale Williams. Theme: Black History Month
- Valentine Letter Passages & Questions– A love letter. Can you guess who the recipient is? Theme: Valentine’s Day (February 14)
March Differentiated Reading Passages:
- How to Clean Your Room Passages & Questions – An expository article detailing a simple way to clean up. Theme: Spring Cleaning
- Pi Day Competition Passages & Questions – A narrative story about a young immigrant who finds purpose through her favorite subject. Theme: Pi Day (March 14)
- The Green Parade Passages & Questions – A dialogue-driven tale of a determined Irishman. Theme: St. Patrick’s Day (March 17)
- Victor’s Journal Passages & Questions – A historical fiction journal account of a farmworker’s plight and interaction with Cesar Chavez. Theme: Cesar Chavez Day (March 31)
April Differentiated Reading Passages:
- The Prank Passages & Questions – This story has April Fools Day and Easter tie-ins and plays with perspectives. It’s a first-person narrative with another character’s journal embedded in its paragraphs. Watch out for the twist ending! Themes: April Fools Day (April 1), Easter
- Alien Observation Competition Passages & Questions – Review the transmissions between alien intelligence officer Deputy Yark and the Department of Alien Surveillance as Yark gathers evidence to see if Earthlings and their planet are worthy of destruction. Theme: Earth Day (April 22)
- Birdsong Passages & Questions – A nonfiction intro to the who, what, when, where, and why of birdsong. Theme: Spring
- Flower Fable Passages & Questions – Perennial and annual flowers take on personalities in this prose with a potent moral. Theme: Spring
May Differentiated Reading Passages:
- Reptile Sighting Passages & Questions – This fiction play-by-play of an encounter with a large reptile explains the factual differences between crocodiles and alligators. Themes: National Alligator Day (May 29)
- All Aboard! Passages & Questions – A real-life travel guide to Golden Spike National Historical Park. Themes: National Train Day (2nd Saturday in May), National Transportation Week (The week that includes the third Friday in May), Anniversary of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad (May 10)
- Dap’s Quest Passages & Questions – Vivid imagery envelops this fantasy tale about a lad’s venture to find the ideal Mother’s Day gift. Themes: Mother’s Day (2nd Sunday in May)
- Kid Inventors Passages & Questions Did you know the popsicle was invented by a kid? What about the television? This nonfiction account shares the stories of kid inventors and the problems they helped to solve. Themes: National Inventors Month
Summer Differentiated Reading Passages (June/July):
August Differentiated Reading Passages:
September Differentiated Reading Passages:
October Differentiated Reading Passages:
November Differentiated Reading Passages:
December Differentiated Reading Passages:
BEST DEAL: If you’re looking for a resource like this that spans multiple grade levels, please check out our mega bundle: Kindergarten – 6th Grade Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Growing Bundle.
Be sure to check out all of our reading passages. This also pairs perfectly with the resources below!