Each lesson in the 5th grade ELA sub plans is simple enough for the sub to follow, but will engage your students in authentic learning …and not just busy work. Each lesson plan has a section for teacher notes at the bottom for any notes you’d like to leave for the sub (or for the sub to leave you notes!) All the graphic organizers, activities, or worksheets needed to complete every lesson are included. Topics include:
- Language Arts topics include: similes and metaphors, idioms, fixing sentences, verb tense, and personification
- Silent Reading Comprehension Strategy Lesson topics include: text questioning, making connections, visualizing, summarizing, and the main idea
- Reading Passages Lesson: Three differentiated reading passages are included. Choose the best one or use all three and differentiate. The topic of the reading passages include a sick teacher, soccer, movie popcorn, reading, and the middle ages
- Writing topics include: opinion writing, narrative writing, informative writing, acrostic poetry, and friendly letter writing
All that’s left to do is make copies of the student pages…. Or opt to use the digital Google Slides versions which are ready to go with text boxes and movable pieces in ALL-DIGITAL format.
In addition to the 5th grade ELA lessons, the following student activities are also included so you won’t have to worry about the sub running out of things to do.
- Brain Breaks that can be used to help break up the day
- Art Activity to help get creative juices flowing and fill time as-needed
- Interactive Notebook covering a topic from one of the lesson plans- printable + digital options!
- Educational Game covering one of the lesson topics- printable card game + digital game with moveable pieces!
- Just Add a Task Board Game All that’s left to do is add a task- such as a spelling or vocab list or math flash cards. It can also be played just for fun without a task. Color and B&W printable versions AND a digital version with movable pieces
- Digital BINGO Game with movable pieces! The BINGO includes content from the other lessons during the day
Extras to make 5th grade language arts sub-planning EASY FOR YOU!
- Copies for Students Page for the printable versions No guesswork because this page lists what pages need to be copied for you or your sub’s convenience
- Digital versions include separate substitute and teacher Google Drive links for EASY assigning to students
- Sub Planning Tips for 1:1 Classroom OR Virtual Sub Plans so no matter what reason you need digital sub plans, you know how to best utilize these plans
- Tips for using Google Slides in OTHER DIGITAL platforms so you can use these sub plans EVEN IF you don’t use Google Classroom
- Sub Tub Organization Tips so you can get your physical sub tub organized in a jiffy
- Print-and-go Thank You Cards so your sub knows that you appreciate them and likely come back to your classroom
- How Did Your Day Go? Substitute Notes Form so you’ll more than likely get detailed notes from your substitute (print + digital options!)
- Substitute Punch Cards make a great behavior management tool special JUST for substitutes!
- Binder Cover and Spines to get your master-copy binder organized
- Answer Keys & Worksheet Guides for ALL worksheets & graphic organizers so even if your sub doesn’t know the answers, they have something to refer to (and in the digital version, the answer keys are NOT inside the student document- so there will be no accidentally assigning students the answer key on our watch
And last, but certainly not least, this comprehensive emergency sub plans 5th grade ELA resource also includes editable forms to fill out in the same document as the lesson plans so you can customize your sub plans to perfectly fit YOUR classroom!
- Substitute Plan Outline: A complete editable outline for your entire day! It has been filled out but you may customize it to suit your needs
- Technology Instructions: These pages are available for you to give your sub tips for 1:1 tech instruction OR virtual lessons
- Additional Notes for the Substitute: Any other notes you’d like to make to the substitute here in the PowerPoint since everything else is in PDF format
- School Schedule: To make sure your sub knows when to use each lesson
- Classroom Info Form: To give your sub the important info they need at their fingertips
- Class List Template: EVERY sub we have talked to has told us that this is a MUST!