Peek inside the Author Study unit in the video below! The video shows both formats. This listing includes only the DIGITAL GOOGLE SLIDES version of the unit. You can also choose to purchase both in the bundle by clicking here.Students will first learn how to use the text features in informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned an author to study and, optionally, a partner or group to work with. Students will have an Author Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about their assigned author. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research. These can be completed digitally.
- Author Cards Cards with clip art of 18 popular authors are included which you can use to assign authors. You may also add up to 6 additional authors, if you wish. (You could add authors from class read alouds, etc.)
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. Pre-written pages are included, plus blank ones to add your own questions. Since this is the Google Slides version, students can type right into the pages! Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Biography Booklet Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Parent Letter & Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit, and invite them to see the student’s hard work. Both of these are editable.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons for their final project.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**
You can also grab this resource as part of a bundle! Save 30% with the Science and Social Studies Research Unit Mega Bundle!
Need only Social Studies? You can save 20% with the Social Studies Research Unit Bundle.