Students will first learn how to use the text features in informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned a black history leader and, optionally, a partner or group to work with. Students will have a Black History Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about black history, civil rights, and their assigned person. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a poster with a hand-drawing of their assigned person along with their personal traits. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to see the posters and what they’ve learned about black history (optional).
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Black History Leader Cards Cards with the name and clip art of many noteworthy black history leaders. You can use these to assign students a person to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 19 pre-written pages are included, plus 2 blank ones to add your own questions. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Black History Leader Poster & President Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Poster Example A photo example of the final project
- Parent Letter & Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit, and invite them to see the student’s hard work. Both of these are editable.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and instructions for the final project.
- BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**
You can also grab this resource as part of a bundle! Save 30% with the Science and Social Studies Research Unit Mega Bundle!
Need only Social Studies? You can save 20% with the Social Studies Research Unit Bundle.
- By purchasing this resource, you will have access to it on your account forever! We do not limit how many times you can download and access your resource. Computer crashed? Not a problem! Just log into your account and download it again.
- You will also have access to ALL future updates and additions to this resource! Whenever the resource is updated, you will be able to download it again in your account. You will also receive updates via email as long as you stay subscribed to our list.