The end of the year awards unit is introduced with the original story “End of the Year Awards to Students, From Students.” It is a story about a class who writes awards for each other. After reading the story, the students will draw their assigned classmate, who they will be writing to for the duration of the unit.
The students will have 10 writing prompts to write letters as secret students. They will also have 4 accountability writing prompts in which they report their acts of service to their teacher (and report what the student’s end-of-the-year award will be).
At the end of the unit, the students reveal who they are with a class end-of-the-year awards ceremony!
Best of all? This unit includes lots of EDITABLE sections! You will type your students’ names only one time, and they will auto-populate as needed throughout the unit.
➡️PLEASE REVIEW THE DETAILED PREVIEW FILE WHICH WILL GIVE YOU A PEEK INSIDE EVERYTHING INCLUDED!⬅️
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THIS END-OF-THE-YEAR WRITING UNIT?
- Teacher Information & Preparation: All the unit information and preparation are clearly laid out so you know exactly what you need to do!
- End of the Year Intro Lesson Plan and Original Story: This lesson plan is a fun way to introduce the unit using the original story. Depending on your student’s age and ability, you may read the story aloud to them or print the story and have them read it as a reading passage.
- Writing Prompt Info: This page clearly lays out the two types of writing prompts: Secret Student writing prompts and Report to Teacher Writing Prompts.
- The Big Reveal Activity Lesson Plan: This reveal activity is a fun and memorable end-of-the-year awards ceremony in which the students will present their awards to each other.
- EDITABLE Student Name Cards: Add your student’s names to the student name cards so they are ready for the students to draw a name to become secret students.
- FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, you only need to type your students’ names into the document ONE TIME, and they will auto-populate onto the Recording Sheets AND the Reveal Cards! No need to type them out three times. Pretty cool, right? Color and black and white included!
- EDITABLE End of the Year Secret Student Recording Sheet: This adorable recording sheet is for you, as the teacher! This helps you keep track as you deliver the letters. It is also inevitable that students will forget who they were assigned to, so it’s great to have your list handy. You can type the assigned classmate’s name, or print out the form and write them as the students draw names. Color and black and white included!
- EDITABLE Parent Letter: This letter is ready to go- all that is left to do is add the date and your name. You may edit the contents of the letter as well if you’d like.
- End of the Year Writing Prompts #1-#10: These prompts are what students will use to write their letters to their assigned classmates. There are 10 pre-made prompts included.
- Full-color versions of the writing prompts are included for you to display using a SMARTBoard, Projector, etc. This makes it easy for students to see the prompts at all times. If you prefer, black and white versions to print out are also included.
- EDITABLE End of the Year Writing Prompts 6 editable pages for you to create your own!
- Report To Teacher Prompts #1-#4 PLUS 2 Editable Templates: The second kind of writing prompt the students will get is the “Report to Teacher” prompt. These keep the students accountable for looking after their assigned classmate as a Some-BUNNY. They also help you to see how the students are helping each other!
- There are four of these prompts pre-written and two editable templates for you to add your own! Full-color versions for projecting or black and white for printing are both included.
- Just like the other prompts, there are display versions and handout versions included.
- Student Writing Pages- MULTIPLE DIFFERENTIATED VERSIONS! These will be used for the secret student writing prompts. They include a graduation owl clip art with the header “A Letter from WHOOOOO?” There are three versions included. Two lined with different spacing, and one with half for writing/half for illustrating. Choose the one that works best for your grade level!
- Report to Teacher Student Writing Pages- MULTIPLE DIFFERENTIATED VERSIONS! These will be used for the Report to Teacher writing prompts. There are three versions included. Two lined with different spacing, and one with half for writing/half for illustrating. Choose the one that works best for your grade level!
- Award Templates: A wide variety of secret student award templates are included for the students to create their awards for each other. There are 5 vertical designs and 2 horizontal designs. Each includes a version with clip art to color OR a version with blank space for students to add their own pictures. This makes a total of 14 templates. Choose your favorites or put them on a back table and let the students choose!
- Student “Thank You” Writing Pages: After the final reveal activity is complete, have the students write a thank you letter to the student who was their secret student.