Students will first learn how to use the text features in an informational text including the table of contents and index. They will also learn how to find credible sources on the internet. Then, students will be assigned a type of extreme weather or natural disaster to research (and optionally, a partner or group to work with). Students will have an Extreme Weather and Natural Disasters Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about weather and natural disasters in general as well as their assigned type. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a poster. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “Extreme Weather and Natural Disasters Fair” where your students can show off their posters!
Extreme Weather and Natural Disasters Unit Contents:
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Extreme Weather and Natural Disaster cards: Cards with the name and clip art of the following extreme weather and natural disasters: avalanche, blizzard, tornado, hurricane, tsunami, wildfire, hail storm, volcano, flood, landslide, earthquake.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 19 pre-written pages are included, plus 2 blank ones to add your own questions. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Poster & Report Instructions: Lesson plan for the final project
- Parent Letter & Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit and invite them to the event, if you decide to host one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create their poster
**BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**