What makes these Kindergarten Reading Passages so unique?
This product includes four reading passage topics. Each topic in this set includes two leveled passages (one harder and one easier), and multiple choice and free response answer options for each passage. That’s a total of 16 passage options in this set! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner (a heart icon labels the easier version, and the star the harder version). No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because both of the leveled options have the same questions, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the passage option.
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages include colored clipart and a variety of non-fiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment. Kindergarteners are at the adorable age where every holiday and season is monumental. Use that to help them develop key reading comprehension skills.
Every passage includes three comprehension questions. Instead of the questions focusing solely on the “what,” Special attention has been given to include other types of questions (example: who, when, where, why, how). This prepares children for longer paragraph-driven text they will approach in 1st grade. The students will also be asked to cite the textual evidence for each answer using red, yellow and blue movable clipart pieces. This technique requires students to slow down and think critically during each question. It also helps students develop the habit of reviewing the text again prior to submitting an answer. Additionally, free-response and multiple-choice options are given for each topic. This gives you versatility. Assign the multiple-choice option, if you’re crunched for time, assign free-response to focus on handwriting, etc.
Full Contents of the Kindergarten January Reading Passages Digital Version:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Icy Animals Passages & Questions – A nonfiction passage about how a few unique animals embrace the cold. Four versions included.
- Martin Passages & Questions – A fictional story with historical roots about a boy named after Martin Luther King Jr. Four versions included.
- Ice Roads Passages & Questions – Learn about the functions of Canadian ice roads Four versions included.
- Robot New Year Passages & Questions – A science fiction story about a robot and her friend. Four versions included.
- Answer Key – To make grading and discussions a breeze
BEST DEAL: If you’re looking for a resource like this that will last the full year, please check out the Kindergarten Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Year-Long Growing Bundle.
Be sure to check out all of our reading passages. This also pairs perfectly with the resources below!