This product includes four reading passage topics. Each topic in this set includes two leveled passages (one harder and one easier), and multiple choice and free response answer options for each passage. That’s a total of 16 passage options in this set! The passages have been carefully leveled, and the levels are subtly marked with a small icon in the corner (a heart icon labels the easier version, and the star the harder version). No child will feel left out since the mark is only a small symbol. Because both of the leveled options have the same questions, you can assign each child the page that is most appropriate for their level while still discussing the same topics and questions with the full class. Differentiation made simple! Alternatively, you can always assign the full class the passage option.
Relevant content sparks students’ interest and increases engagement. Not only do these passages have a variety of nonfiction and fiction stories, but your students will also be excited to study topics like holidays and seasons that are part of their present environment. Kindergarteners are at the adorable age where every holiday and season is monumental. Use that to help them develop key reading comprehension skills.
Every passage includes three comprehension questions. Instead of the questions focusing solely on the “what,” special attention has been given to include other types of questions (example: who, when, where, why, how). This prepares children for longer paragraph-driven text they will approach in 1st grade. The students will also be asked to cite the textual evidence for each answer using red, yellow and blue colored pencils. This technique requires students to slow down and think critically during each question. It also helps students develop the habit of reviewing the text again prior to submitting an answer. Additionally, free-response and multiple-choice options are given for each topic. This gives you versatility. Assign the multiple-choice option if you’re crunched for time. Assign free-response to focus on handwriting, etc.
Full Contents of the Kindergarten October Reading Passages:
- A Note To Teacher – Instructions so you’ll know just how to get the most out of these passages
- Passage Differentiation Information – A guide so you can easily differentiate with this resource
- Uh-Oh! Passages & Questions – A girl dresses as an astronaut for Halloween and must fix her costume when she loses a button. Themes: Halloween
- Hot Air Balloon Passages & Questions– Is the hot air balloon broken? No! It just needs hot air to fly. Themes: Hot air balloon festivals, specifically Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta (early October)
- Bones Passages & Questions – This nonfiction passages explores how we can take care of our bones. Themes: World Osteoporosis Day (October 20), and if you get creative you could tie the skeleton in with Halloween
- October Passages & Questions – Learn about four October holidays. Themes: Halloween, National Cake Decorating Day (October 10), Dictionary Day (October 16), World Pasta Day (October 26)
- Answer Key – To make grading and discussions a breeze.
BEST DEAL: If you’re looking for a resource like this that will last the full year, please check out the Kindergarten Monthly Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages Year-Long Bundle.