Students will first learn how to use the text features in an informational text including the table of contents and index. They will also learn how to find credible sources on the internet. Then, students will be assigned an animal or plant (and optionally, a partner or group to work with). Students will have a Life Cycle Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research their assigned animal or plant. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a life cycle diorama of their assigned animal or plant in a shoebox and a written life cycle report. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “Life Cycle Fair” where your students can show off their dioramas.
You will get:
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including the glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Animal and Plant Cards: Cards with the name and clip art of each animal/plant. You can use these to assign students an animal or plant to research. The animal and plant cards included are:
- Sea Turtle
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 13 pre-written pages are included, plus 6 blank ones to add your own questions. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Life Cycle Diorama & Written Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Diorama Example A photo example of the final project
- Parent Letter & Life Cycle Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit and invite them to the fair, if you decide to host one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create a life cycle diorama.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**