Students will first learn how to use the text features in an informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned a topic. You can choose if you would like your students to work individually, in partners, or in groups. Students will have a Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research their assigned research topic. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a hands-on model/diorama of their research topic. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “End of Unit Fair” where your students will share what they’ve learned about their state and show off their maps!
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Topic Cards Cards with the name of each research topic. You can use these to randomly assign students a topic to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There are editable fields for you to create one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Diorama/Model & Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Parent Letter & Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit, and invite them to the fair, if you decide to do one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create a model/diorama of their topic.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**