Students will first learn how to use the text features in informational text including the table of contents and index. They will also learn how to find credible sources on the internet. Then, students will be assigned a type of penguin (and optionally, a partner or group to work with). Students will have a Penguins Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about the penguins in general as well as their assigned penguin. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a LIFE-SIZE model of their penguin using butcher paper (great for practicing measurement as well), and a written penguin report. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “Penguin Fair” where your students can show off their cool life size penguin model.
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Penguins Cards Cards with the name and clip art of each type of penguin. You can use these to assign students a penguin to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 19 pre-written pages are included, plus 2 blank ones to add your own questions. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Life-Size Penguin Model & Penguin Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Life Size Penguin Model Example A photo example of the final project
- Parent Letter & Penguin Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the unit and invite them to the fair, if you decide to host one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create a life size model of their penguin.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**
You can also grab this resource as part of a bundle! Save 30% with the Science and Social Studies Research Unit Mega Bundle!
Need only Science? You can save 20% with the Science Research Unit Bundle.