This inventors and their inventions research unit is perfect for students who are learning how to use informational text and studying scientists and inventors. Students will discover scientists and their discoveries as well as inventors and their inventions in this unit using informational text.
Students will first learn how to use the text features in informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned a scientist or inventor to research, optionally, a partner or group to work with. Students will have an Innovators Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about scientists and inventors, and their assigned person. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a model of their person’s innovation (invention, scientific discovery, etc). Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the Innovation Fair to see the models and what they’ve learned about their innovators.
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index. THESE CAN BE COMPLETED DIGITALLY.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research. THESE CAN BE COMPLETED DIGITALLY.
- Scientist and Inventor Cards Cards with the name and clip art of many noteworthy scientist or inventor. You can use these to assign students a person to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. Pre-written pages are included, plus blank ones to add your own questions. SINCE THIS IS THE GOOGLE SLIDES VERSION, STUDENTS CAN TYPE RIGHT INTO THE JOURNALS. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Scientist & Inventors Report and Project Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Invention Model Example A photo example of the final project.
- Parent Letter & Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the states unit, and invite them to see the student’s hard work. Both of these are editable.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons for their final project.