What is included in this Solar System Research Unit?
Students will first learn how to use the text features in an informational text including the table of contents and index. They will also learn how to find credible sources on the internet. Then, students will be assigned a planet (and optionally, a partner or group to work with). Students will have a Solar System Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research the solar system and their assigned planet. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a paper mache planet. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “Planet Fair” where your students can show off their cool paper mache planets!
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including a glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- Planet Cards Cards with the name and clip art of each planet. You can use these to assign students a planet to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 19 pre-written pages are included, plus 2 blank ones to add your own questions. Full-page and half-page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Paper Mache Planet & Planet Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Paper Mache Planet Example A photo example of the final project
- Parent Letter & Holiday Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the holiday unit, and invite them to the planet fair, if you decide to do one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create a paper mache planet of their state.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**
You can also grab this resource as part of a bundle! Save 30% with the Science and Social Studies Research Unit Mega Bundle!
Need only Science? You can save 20% with the Science Research Unit Bundle.