Students will first learn how to use the text features in an informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned a president and a partner to work with. Students will have a U.S. Presidents Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research about the United States Presidents and their assigned president. Editable sections have been added to the research journals so you may add your own questions!
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation (their “presidential speech”) and a mask of their president. Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the “President Fair” where your students will share what they’ve learned about their president and show off their masks!
You can also get this unit in the United States of America and U.S. Presidents Research Bundle! You can save 20% when you buy both units!
- Teacher Info Pages: This includes a sample unit outline, grading rubric, and lesson plans for internet research, intro lesson, research journals, and final projects.
- Book research/ text features worksheets: Students will review other text features including: glossary, titles, headings, photos, captions, graphs/charts, and special print. They will also compare and contrast the table of contents and index.
- Internet research worksheets: These worksheets will familiarize your students with how to find credible sources on the internet for research.
- President Cards Cards with the name and clip art of each president. You can use these to assign students a president to research.
- Research Journals: The research journals will guide the students throughout their research. There is one question on each page for the students to find the answer to. 19 pre-written pages are included, plus 2 blank ones to add your own questions. Full page and half page versions are BOTH included in this resource. Choose which version is best for your students.
- Paper Plate Mask & President Report Instructions Lesson plan for the student’s final project
- Paper Plate Mask Example A photo example of the final project
- Parent Letter & State Fair Invitation: Keep the parents in the loop! Let them know what is going on with the states unit, and invite them to the state fair, if you decide to do one.
- Final Report Pages and info: A final report page is included as well as examples and lessons to have students create a salt dough model of their state.
- **BONUS! ALL PAGES in the document are included in both vivid color AND Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience**